Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tomorrow.... It begins

This is it.  After months of lead up, the 24-week training program begins tomorrow.  How does it begin?  With a "rest" day.  Apparently, SGK knows about Mondays!  The program requires walks Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday with other training Wednesday/Friday and rest on Monday.  And, I got new shoes to kick it off right.  Thanks to the guys at New Balance Richmond for their help and expertise.


If you've been following this blog, you can surely tell from my lack of writing that I've been a lazy bum lately.  Since I am absolutely dedicated to walking the full distance in September, the laziness is over and the training is on like Donkey Kong.  Thankfully, each of the four walks this week only need to be three miles.  Those I should be able to do, but the other workouts.......?

Wednesday I am trying Aqua Zumba for the first time.  I've taken the "land-based" class by this instructor many times and it kicks butt.  Hopefully, the water version will do the same, but help me ease back into regular training.  Friday I'll take Body Pump for the first time in several years.  I used to take it almost every day and am pretty psyched to be back at a gym that offers Les Mills workouts.  I'm guessing that the walks this weekend will be quite "ouchy" after the six billion squats I'll do Friday.  That's okay, I need it.

Any CCPS employees who don't know about Midlothian Athletic Club (MAC) should check it out.  They give us a sweet corporate rate and have amazing facilities.  I love the outdoor pool for summer and the indoor one for classes.  Plus, the hot tub is amazing and so are the instructors.  I'm so glad to be back!

I did go for one walk this week.  Monday was gorgeous and I took a quick hike at Point of Rocks/Dodd Park in Chester, VA.  It has an amazing boardwalk over the marsh and is so reminiscent of South Carolina.  I really do miss the smell of Pluff Mud and this was pretty close to the real thing.  For those of you who don't know what I mean:

"Pluff mud [plŭff-mŭd], noun, A mixture of dirt and water indigenous to the marshes of the South Carolina Lowcountry, with a distinct odor that’s endearing to locals, but off-putting to tourists and redcoats."  Courtesy: http://www.holycitybrewing.com/beer/pluff-mud-porter

If you're in the area, this is a park you don't want to miss.  I saw such a fantastic array of birds, including a huge Blue Heron and beautiful Red Winged Blackbirds.









That's all for now, but I promise to check in again after Aqua Zumba.  As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment