Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Let me explain...

My last walk was March 9 in Warrenton, VA.  It's a nice, paved, local trail that is part of the Rails to Trails system.  My mom and I did the 3-mile down and back with no big issues.  But, by the time we got home, my shin was really hurting.  It turned out I had shinsplints from my lack of stretching, and I've been nursing them ever since with stretches, ice, and special exercises.  I'm feeling better now and will be walking again Friday.  Hey!  Looks like I learned yet another lesson.

So, here's a run-down of what's happened since I've been away.

Tuesday, March 11 - My fundraising event at F.W. Sullivan's.  It was great of Sully's to let me use the space and the vendors were awesome.  Unfortunately, only a few people came.  So, the event was a bust as a fundraiser, but I did make some great connections in the networking field.

Thursday, March 15, I had an interview with a great local business.  I'm going to do a few days of shadowing with them this spring and will hopefully be a great fit.  This could combine a few of my absolute passions and I'm really excited about the possibilities.  I'll tell you all about it after I know more.

The problem with following one's passion is that it rarely pays well.  If I'm going to leave teaching, I have to make up the difference somehow.  So, I brainstormed a bit and talked to my husband about possibilities, and think I'm going to try something really scary.  I'm hoping to start my own tutoring business for students in Math 5 - Algebra.  I might add on Math 3-4 and more high school courses later, but I want to start in my comfort zone.  So, this could be my last year in the public school classroom!  I'm going to give it a year and then reevaluate my position.

Friday, March 16 was the start of VCU's part in the A-10 tournament.  For those of you who don't know, I'm a bit obsessed with Ram basketball.  I watched that game with my mom and talked to her about my ideas for the business.  At that point I was still pretty unsure of the idea because it just seemed too risky. And then we got Chinese food.  This was my fortune:


 That was all the sign I needed!

Saturday and Sunday were great days, full of friends, fun, and basketball.


So, now I'm looking forward to Friday.  I have a 3-mile walk planned through the Museum District of Richmond and then I'll be watching the first round of the NCAA tournament.  Hopefully, I'll only have time for a short walk Sunday before the next game!


I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment