Saturday, November 9, 2013

Week 1 Overview, Info, & Stats

It just dawned on me that people may read this without knowing my overall goal for this little project....

My name is Carly Keating, I am a 6th grade math teacher, and I've been overweight much of my life.  I've been everything from size 12 to 28, but I've spent A LOT of time around a 20/22.  I'd like to be a 14/16 and I don't think that's an irrational hope.  At 5'8'', with an hourglass shape, I look good at size 16.  I mean GOOOOOD, and more importantly, I feel great.  So, that's the goal and the back story for this blog.

Last Saturday, I posted a very "scary" (read as terrifyingly vulnerable) status to my Facebook friends, and I'm pasting it in here so readers will know what I'm doing.  

Announcement: I am doing the Susan G. Komen 3-day walk in Philadelphia next September. It consists of 60 miles total done as 20 per day. I'm giving myself 10 months to prepare and going on my first hike tomorrow. I have pledged to raise $2,300 and will be doing several fundraisers over the spring and summer months in addition to having a fundraising page. However, my FIRST fundraiser....

I am pledging to give $1 for every pound I lose from now until the end of August (training time). That means I could be donating $20 or $100. I'm hoping for around $80. If you are willing to match my donation, please comment below or send me a PM. I will send you a message to verify.


In Week 1, I walked a mere five miles, but made good food choices and lost 2.2 pounds.  With the people who've pledged to match me, that makes the current total $26.40.  I don't think that's too shabby.  If I can average $20 a week, that will raise over $800 for my walk.  Granted, that means I need to average 2 pounds per week, which is tough, but I'll do what I can.  I also plan to keep an update here with weekly hike photos and the occasional recipe or blog recommendation.  I'm hopeful some of you will enjoy reading my story, possibly be inspired, and maybe even join my current supporters in matching my weight loss donation in early September. 

Anybody looking for an AMAZING and inspirational read should check out www.stilleasierthanchemo.com.  Written by a Richmond woman, it's a beautiful, year-long tribute to her mother that changed not only the writer's life, but the lives of her family, friends, and blog readers.  If you are aspiring to run or walk for any cause, her posts will give you motivation and encouragement.

Tomorrow I'll venture out for my second hike.  The weather is supposed to be perfect and we're planning for 3-miles at Motts Run Reservoir in Fredericksburg, VA.  It takes about an hour to get there from here, but Brian and I enjoy a road trip.  Plus, it's not far from where my parents live, so we get to meet them for an afternoon in the historic district of town.   Motts is listed as a "Moderate" hike while most of the ones I do are "Easy".  I'm sure to be a big ball of fun for our early dinner with the family!  I'll post pictures and grumblings tomorrow evening.  

Yes, tonight I'm looking forward to a lovely family day out, but by tomorrow I'll be a sore sourpuss.    I'm prepared for that and know it makes for a funnier read.  That's right, I do this for the laughs; I hope you appreciate my sacrifice and will check in again tomorrow to see how it plays out.

As always, THANKS FOR READING!



No comments:

Post a Comment